The Witham Shield. CC BY-NC-SA The British Museum.
Museum number 1872,1213.1.
Length: 1092.2 millimetres
Width: 345 millimetres
Acquisition name: Donated by: Sir Augustus Wollaston Franks. Previous owner/ex-collection: Sir Samuel Rush Meyrick.
The Witham Shield is an Iron Age decorative bronze shield facing of La Tène style, dating from about the 4th century BC. The shield was discovered in the River Witham in the vicinity of Washingborough and Fiskerton in Lincolnshire, England in 1826.